Thank you for showing interest in Vienna International School (VIS) on behalf of your child. Vienna International School is a truly International School with 111 nationalities and 89 different mother tongues represented amongst its student body. The School enjoys an outstanding reputation for academic success and offers a full range of activities for students of all abilities. Vienna International School can accommodate about 1400 students and the school is located close to the UN Headquarters in the 22nd district of Vienna. Our School is easily accessible by subway (U1 line, stop Kagran) and about 15 minutes away from the city center (Stephansplatz).
Before you start the process of an online application for a place for your child we would like you to read through the following information carefully.
For your information and guidance, the admissions process for admitting new students during the current academic year 2020-2021 is as follows:
- Our school has an ongoing admissions process in place and we accept students not only at the beginning of a new academic year but also during an academic year, vacancies permitting. On our online application system, OpenApply, you will be asked to enter the requested enrollment year (e.g. 2020-21) as well as the anticipated start date (e.g. 1 April 2021).
- Applications for the academic years 2020-2021 and beyond, can be submitted online at any time and upon completion, candidates’ names will be waitlisted accordingly.
- Please be aware that we have waitlists for most of our grade levels. The earlier you apply, the greater are the chances to be admitted as the application date plays an important factor on the waiting lists and in the admissions process. Please note that only once payment of the application fee is received and the application fully completed will the application process commence to waitlist status.
For your information and guidance, the admissions process for admitting new students for the next academic year 2021-2022 is as follows:
- We begin reviewing waitlisted applications in the Fall of 2020.
- In grades where we know that we will have a great number of places available – ie. In ELC, Grade Primary, Grade 1, Grade 6 and Grade 9 - we will start with first place offers in the new year, once the Tuition Fees for the upcoming academic year 2021-2022 have been approved.
- The admissions process for 2021-2022 for all other grades is connected to our current students’ annual re-enrolment process, which will be initiated in January 2021.
- At the end of February 2020 we will have received approximately 50% feedback from our current parents regarding their children’s re-enrolment intentions for 2021-22.
- This is the time when we will also start with first offers to waitlisted candidates in all other grades.
- Our school will continue to offer places all spring and summer long, including July and August 2021, until all vacancies are filled with the new academic year, 2021-2022, commencing in August 2021.
For your information and guidance, the admissions process for admitting new students for future academic years is as follows:
- The option for the future academic year 2022-2023 (2023-2024 etc.) will only be available on Open Apply approximately 1.5 years in advance of the start of the applicable academic year.
- As of January 2021, the academic year 2022-2023 should be available for selection in the drop-down menu on the 'Student Information' page.
- Please note that the reviewing process for future academic years will only start in the autumn prior to the start of the applicable academic year.
Vienna International School is a non-sectarian, non-selective and inclusive school meeting the needs of a diverse international community.
Vienna International School enrols only students whose education needs can be met by the School.
Before starting the application process at VIS you need to be aware that candidates who apply for places at VIS are placed in different priority groups, based on the Vienna International School Association (VISA) statutes:
In the process of admission, candidates are placed in different priority groups, based on the Vienna International School Association (VISA) statutes:
- Children of officials of the International Organizations who are based in Austria and as specified by the Austrian Foreign Ministry, as well as children of members of a diplomatic or consular service, irrespective of their nationality.
- Children without Austrian citizenship whose parents are employed within the international business sector.
- Other children
within this priority group are offered places according to the following criteria:
Children whose parents have lived and worked for at least two years outside Austria recently (no longer than five years ago), and where the children have attended an English language school.
Children whose parents can demonstrate that they expect to relocate to a non-German speaking country within the next two years.
Children whose mother-tongue is not German.
Children who were born outside Austria.
Children whose parents have different nationalities.
Children whose parents can demonstrate for any other reason that they have a specific need for an international education in the English language.
The criteria for Other children, are not arranged in order of precedence, but help the Admissions Coordinator to build up a profile of each candidate in this category in order for the Director to determine priority.
In each of the groups, a special priority is accorded to those children who are applying to re-enter the school (within 2 years) and to those children who have siblings already in the school.
Apart from these criteria, places on the waiting list are determined by the date on which we receive a complete online application of a student via our application system OpenApply, including the Application Fee, copy of passport (ID), copies of the two most recent school reports and the online assessment from your child’s current school.
It is imperative that you provide contact numbers and email addresses on OpenApply where we can be sure of reaching you.
We shall be taking admissions decisions as of January for those who wish to begin school at the start of the academic year in August. For applicants that wish to be admitted to school during the year, places will be offered as vacancies occur. Parents whose children are offered places will have a specific period of time to confirm their acceptance by paying the Admissions Fee.
We are, of course, happy to answer any further questions about the school or the admissions procedure. Thank you for your interest.
According to our school’s Admissions Policy we place new students by age, please click here to read specific details regarding the placement policy.
Candidates for admission to our ELC have to be three years old by 31 August in order to be admitted for the start of an academic year. However, children who turn 3 years of age by the 31 January of an academic year will also be allowed to apply for a place with the anticipated start date being the 1st of the month, following the month of when the child turns 3. Children who turn 3 years after 31 January will automatically be considered for admission in August of the following academic year. Children who start in our ELC must be toilet trained.
We offer indivudal appointments with the Admissions Coordinator and introductory tour of our school premises to potential families. Please take into consideration that an appointment usually takes about one hour. In case you wish to request such an appointment and tour of school please do so by email to admissions(at)vis.ac.at.
VIS accepts new students all year long who meet the admissions criteria and requirements. As vacancies are available, students who are registered on our waiting lists will be offered a place.
Our school usually maintains waiting list for all grades. We recommend you apply for places as early as possible. Applications can be made years ahead.
We run 3 parallel classes in our ELC (16 per class), and 3 parallel classes in Grade Primary (20 per class) and in G1 to G5 (22 per class). G6 to G8 runs 5 parallel classes with 110 students, G9 runs 6 parallel classes of a maximum of 126 students, G10 also runs 6 parallel classes with a max of 126 students and G11 and G12 offer 14 classes each and can have up to 135 students per grade level.
The Vienna International School is an authorised International Baccalaureate school, a programme of international education designed to help students ages 3 to 18 to develop the knowledge, understanding, attitudes and skills necessary to participate actively and responsibly in a changing world.
If you are further interested, please click here to find out more about curriculum.
Once we have received your child’s complete online application and your child’s status has been confirmed as waitlisted we will assess your child’s eligibility for admission against our criteria and when a place is available an offer of a place will be extended by email via the online application tool, OPEN APPLY. If the parent/s
will be extended by direct contact to the parent by email via our online application tool OPEN APPLY. If the parent/s want to accept the place the admission fee for the respective year will have to be paid within the given deadline and proof of payment uploaded on the OPEN APPLY. The actual first day of attendance will be mutually agreed to between parents and the Admissions Coordinator.
When making an application for admission to VIS through our OPEN APPLY system a copy of the following will need to be uploaded to the application form before you can submit the application:
- Student identification (passport) and student passport photo of high quality, ratio 3:4
- Parent/guardian identification (passport) and passport photo high quality, ratio 3:4
- Credit Card to make the application fee payment
- 2 most recent School reports (originals and English translations if necessary)
If applicable you may also need to upload copies of the following documents to the application form:
- Psycho-educational assessment
- Individual Learning Plan or Individual Education Plan
- Additional Educational Support assessments
- Doctors certificates
Entering data for one child on Open Apply will take you about 35 minutes; however, you can also start the process, save and continue later if you are short on time.
After having read all of the above information and in case you have additional questions please contact us before starting the Open Apply application process.
However, if you are now ready to start with the application process click here for Open Apply.